SATURDAY 19th JUNE
GREAT HILL FELL RACE
5.8m/1300ft
BRINSCALL, LANCS.

This West Pennine bump is where my renaissance with the fells and first steps in to the realms of fell running began, so this is a sacred little event for me and one I would very much like to win one day before a small portion of my ashes are released up there. With a 3rd and a 2nd place under my belt in previous years I think I have every right to believe, but the sight of Mark Russell at the starting line confirmed to me that this was not going to be the year. The Bolton Metro Tri Club man is running well at the moment. I trailed him at Henderson's End a couple of weeks ago by over two and a half minutes so something extraordinary would have to happen to make that time up today.
Whilst technically this is a fell race because it goes up to the top of a fell, the route from Brinscall makes this more of a road/trail race than an out and out fell race. The 1300ft status is roughly the altitude reached, whilst the actual ascent on the course is around 1150ft.  Dare I write in and complain to the organiser about this? I would never cross words with the great Terry Dickenson, or any other race organiser for that matter. Without them, the whole sport at this level does not exist and should I ever manage a race myself one day, the moaning minority will be get a piece of my mind. Be warned!  
Back to the race, and I managed to stay in touch with Mark and fellow tri-athlete Lee Cook until near the top of Well Lane before the road turns to track and plateau's out on to Wheelton Moor. It was here the front two powered away from me and so the race for third place began. However, for the second race in succession I found myself pocketed on my own. The duo ahead of me were both uncatchable and there was no sign of life immediately behind me. From Great Hill summit we loop down and around the south side and retrace our steps back to Brinscall cricket ground. Into a strong headwind I plugged away over the moor and reserved a little down the steep Well Lane before a big push up the main street of the village and I had comfortably done enough to hold my place. Maybe next year...
Time: 38:20   Pos: 3rd/90

No comments:

Post a Comment