WEDNESDAY 28th AUGUST
HARROCK HILL (4)
5.2m/900ft
Bispham Green

The Sedburgh experience must have done me some good because I responded three days later with another good show at the final Harrock Hill race of the series. I ended up in a right old ding-dong with Paul Muller for fourth place. There was little between us until just after the halfway mark when Paul, a serial look-behinder, informed me we were both well clear of the next group of runners. What is it with Horwich runners and their mind games during races?! ''I never look back, thanks for that'', was my dry reply. Well I doubt that was actually the catalyst for him to step on the speed button, but he certainly upped a notch or two and frankly I felt I couldn't go with him, particularly on this uphill section because my thigh and calf muscles were only just passable to race tonight and so my own race plan I had to stick to. By the time we hit the road and pass the High Moor Restaurant and beyond, I reckon the Muller had gained up to half a minute on me. But like last month, I wasn't quite for giving up and once I felt assured I had enough fuel to kick for home I began to draw that red vest in and before the windmill was no more than thirty yards in his wake. Then as we pop out from the shrubbery to the final downhill stretch off the hill, I found myself just a stride or two behind. I tucked in, held on, Paul looking back so often now he was hardly looking forward and I edged my bets on out-kicking him on the uphill straight to the finish. He kicked a bit earlier, I stayed with him, eased off a touch and then with twenty yards to go I thrusted myself ahead to sneak in front of him by a solitary second. Paul Muller is a class athlete in his early fifties and has been a class athlete most of his life from what I can gather. His PB''s from his younger years speak volumes and very recently has knocked out a 75 minute half marathon. He's done stuff and he's still doing stuff and I hope he sees it as a mark of respect that I was particularly chuffed to beat him this evening and in the manner that I did.
However, Paul revealed to me he stumbled on a ladder stile which is why I closed him down so quickly. Mmm. Yeah well I did Sedburgh Hills on Sunday, mate. I didn't say that of course, he's a legend!
This result gave me second spot in the series and a top voucher prize to accompany my box of fruit and veg. Harrock Hill - it's a love affair.
Time: 34:07   Pos: 4th/169

No comments:

Post a Comment