THURSDAY 30th SEPTEMBER
Feeling shackled after Three Shires I decided to take the best part of a week off running. In previous years I have found myself going off the boil at this time of year, so I thought I should let all my little aches recover and start again. From the frustration and poor form earlier on in the year, I managed to salvage a decent summer of racing without actually running more than 30 miles a week. I seemed to have found a happy, if at times fine balance, of keeping going to a level I was happy with whilst not pushing so much that I would irritate my knee problem. After spending the whole year running almost entirely off-road after picking up problems I blamed on road running, it was ironic that I had now chosen to get out there and do some steady training on the roads to heal all the niggles I'd picked up on the fells! Twisted logic, but effective. Despite my heaviest week of mileage since the Winter when I resumed training, it was just steady stuff and I was starting to feel stronger and refreshed. No race plans really until the UKA Fell Relays. Partnered on the long leg with Matt Nuttall, it seemed a bit of a mis-match on paper and I was fearful of dragging his heels. But I decided to use it as the dangling carrot to knuckle down and get fitter and sharper than I had been all year and made it my goal to make sure I do the Wilpshire Ironman proud. For those not in the know, Matt is a monster. He trains like a pro. He is excellent on the roads, fells, cross country and is an equally distinguished triathlete. Oh, and he's a good bit faster than me. Work to be done then.

No comments:

Post a Comment