SUNDAY 15th AUGUST
LOMONDS OF FIFE
11m/3300ft
STRATHMIGLO, FIFE

One of five Blackburn Harriers to make this journey, we were making a bit of a weekend of it. The plan on the Saturday was to recce the Lomonds and some possible routes for the forthcoming Fell Relay Championships in October. Then, on the Sunday we would have a crack at the Lomonds fell race.
First things first though after a long journey after work on a Friday night and pitching tents just outside Kinross... let's get some food and a few beers down us. Or in my case, let's get some food and far too much beer down me. My mate Stella wasn't touching the sides that night. In fairness, I had one or two personal goings on and it would be fair to say that my head was pretty much up backsidesville. My training regime had suffered a little too as I was having to ease up with that bit of knee trouble. But this weekend away did me a bit of good and blew a couple of cob webs away.
I was suffering Saturday morning though, but nothing a bacon butty and a strong coffee didn't just about sort out. On which note I should say thank you for gratious hospitality of the Nuttall's and their friends who had joined them to share their inaugural experiences together with their newly acquired trailor tents. I was won over and would get one myself if I had the money and one of those tow-nodge things on my Micra.
We had a good three hours or so out on the fells that day, a potter around the quirky village of Falkland and took it a bit easier in the ale department by night. Especially me. Alcohol did not touch my lips.
In terms of height, the two peaks of the Lomonds of Fife are quite modest with just over 1700ft being the highest point. But pertruding steeply from the surrounding acres upon acres of lowland farmland, they dominate the skyline in this neck of the woods. Sunday morning's race began in a sun trapped field a couple of miles outside the village of Strathmiglo and at the base of the peak of West Lomond. That was the first climb and I was up and down there quite handy before a nasty diagonal descent to woodlands took the sting out of my tail. It was through the woods that Matt Nuttall inevitably charged by, leaving me to think about how I might pace myself in future races. Struggling to find some decent flat speed, it seemed every man and his dog was passing me through these woods. I kid you not, a runner from the Carnethy club cruised past with his Cocker Spaniel pacing him along. 
After a sun drenched climb out of those woods the sight of East Lomond comes in to view and it's a relief to be getting up there in the open air again and into a cooling breeze. From the East summit the course takes us straight across to the West again. Well, via a nasty little detour over some rough ground to a little fortified knoll known as Maiden Castle. With that out of the way, I started to enjoy the race a bit more, clawed back a few places and geared myself up for the final jaunt back up the West and the notorious descent to the finish of which we heard so much about before we started. I seemed to be holding my place on the final climb and on reaching the top was told I was 20th which gave me that extra little push to hold my own. That last descent is indeed a tricky one. It's not dangerous because it's a mainly grassy slope, but it is seriously steep and impossible to stay on your feet when you are trying to get down there as fast as you can. Arse-cheek burns go with the territory at this point and we heard that some knowledgable Fifers kit themselves out with pieces of polythene with which to use as a mat to slide down. Should I tackle this race again, I will be doing the very same. I reckon it would be pretty trecherous down there on a wet day though and was thankful it was dry today.
After the initial shock of being able stay on my feet again, I kick on through the final few fields and am pleased enough to hold on to my position. Of my clubmates, Matt had already been back nearly ten minutes and had converted his cautious start into a worthy 8th place. Quality road running veteran and closet fell runner John Chaplin was the next Lancastrian home, with young Danny Maynard having a superb run and thoroughly enjoying the occasion for what was essentially a massive challenge for a 17 year old with little more than a five mile race over the local moors under his belt before taking this on. Last but certainly not least from our club, chief organiser and chaeuffeur Richard Taylor was happy just to get round without further damage having been suffering from various injuries. Then for the long, but comfortable journey home in Richard's Jag and back to the real world. 
Time: 1.53:19   Pos: 20th/111     

No comments:

Post a Comment