SUNDAY 25th JULY
KENTMERE HORSESHOE
11.9m/3300ft
KENTMERE, CUMBRIA

Without putting too much pressure on myself I had been working up to having a decent Kentmere run and on recent form was expecting little else to be honest. This was my fourth time at the race having only missed 2008 through injury. The Kentmere Horseshoe is a great route and as my first proper fell race in Lakeland five years ago, it remains dear to my heart. I was thinking on the way up there that something near my best time so far of 1.42.20 in 2008 would be a good result. I still look back at that brief period when I was still quite new to running and yet was knocking out decent times, some of which I have still not bettered for all the extra strength and experience I have banked since then.  
Having felt a bit fatigued most of this week I took a gamble on not running or cycling for four days leading up to the race. I thought there was little point in even going out for a short jog when I didn't feel like it and that it would give me more chance of feeling better on the day perhaps. Well I caught up with some sleep anyway, a good ten hours of it. The wonders of  a 1pm start.    
Weather conditions were excellent with cloudy patches taking the edge off the sun's mid-summer rays and as usual a good sized field had made the journey down the Kentmere Valley. The start was delayed for a few moments as race organiser Pete Bland made Northumberland runner Phil Sanderson re-pin his number on properly. He had illegally folded up the edges and Mr Bland had every right to put him on the spot given that he also sponsors the race. 
Finally, with Phil Sanderson now clearly advertising the brand that is Pete Bland Sports, we were off. Not in a hurry though. I was only steady away up the Garburn Pass but realised I had last years winner Mark Roberts and Mercia's Tim Werret for company just a few strides ahead amongst a few other distinguished mountain goats. Tim Werret needs to work on his gate opening skills though and those around me at that time will know exactly what I am talking about!
When we departed the track for the steep climb up to the ridge, positons started to open up a bit. This is where the race really starts and this is when you know if it's going to be good one or a bad one. I was in two minds though to be honest, as I was quite easy up the first climb but started to feel a bit heavy going up to the first summit of note which is Yoke. Past they came in their droves; some guy from Kendal who I recognised from a battle for 9th place at Tebay 2008; genetically gifted and forever improving Andrew Jebb of Bingley; a Holmfirth Harrier whose name I knew not of until I saw the results; Bowland's Mark Chippendale who I have never beaten in a Lakes race; Clayton's Jack Dugdale who has moved up a notch in recent times and Bolton Tri-Club's Mark Russell. (Although I was expecting him to be ahead of me already) 
I was wondering if it was going to be one of those days. But I thought about how I felt in recent races and training runs and reminded myself that it's still early in the race and that I should plod on and dig in here because I should have it in the tank to recover and perhaps keep up with one or two of these guys. I was right to have a bit of faith in myself as I started to settle down and pass the Holmfirth lad and then the Kendal runner whilst keeping on to the tail of the Bowland vest all the way to roughly the halfway mark of the race which is the summit of High Street. I was feeling quite good knowing that it's pretty much good fast running from here apart from a couple of crags to bob up and down. I seemed to leave Mark behind coming off the summit without making too much of an effort and bouyed by this, was positively buzzing when I started to draw Jack in pretty quickly aswell. The gap was down to twenty yards as we descended down steep loose rock from Mardale Ill Bell and I bided my time before seemingly cruising by him up Small Water Crags. Tim Werret was the next runner I passed, although it's not as good as it sounds. The Mercia man was clearly struggling and you had to feel for him because he had probably been in the running to win it.
Feeling good at this point, I could now see only Mark Russell ahead, albeit just about, but realised I must be pretty well up the field. I kept pushing along the ridge to the final climb of note which is Kentmere Pike and was just trying to sustain the distance between myself and Mark rather than worry about what was happening behind me. Off the Pike, I seemed to gain a little and as the descent gets a bit choppier I suddenly found myself reeling in the mega-fit Boltonian and having the audacity to pass him before we reached the base of the valley. 
Now I had fairly booted it down there and whilst I knew I still had enough in the tank to kick on for the final mile or so to the finish, I knew that Mark would have to be struggling not to show his class and come back at me. Well, it turned out to be the choppy descent that he was struggling with and as he finally caught up with me I smiled and said, ''I bloody knew it! I had to have a go though.'' He chuckled and said well done, complimenting me on my descending skills before putting twenty seconds between us by the finishing line. I was delighted with this though. Twelfth place and at last a race of considerable distance on the fells that I felt I had done myself some justice in.
Surely a course best time then? No. Just TWO sodding seconds outside! But it felt easier and I felt much stronger than I did in 2008. As for Tim Werret faffing around opening that bloody gate early on, you cost me some very valuable seconds there. Cheers!
Time: 1.42:22   Pos: 12th/214 

No comments:

Post a Comment